Name:
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

I am not sure how to describe myself

Saturday, October 23, 2004

The relation between Music and Emotion

I guess I found what I wrote earlier. You can consider this a the first version


In the previous post I wrote about the physics of music. But today, I am in a more pondering mood, so a non-emotional piece of writing would do me no good, so I shall continue about the previous stuff later.

Music has a very emotional content to it. It is one of the few things in this world, one of the few art forms which can truely stir your soul. Music as contrast to Poetry, Prose or Drama does not need the clothing of words to appeal, pure musical notes can either throw you up in joy or reduce you to tears. However, Music goes well with either of these forms, besides Dance of course. Dance is an independent art form, but has a great dependence on music and how well they support each other.

I personally prefer the kind of music without words, words of course do add value to some odd combinations of notes, but personally, I do not need words to understand something n music. Infact I feel that words constrict ones imagination in a music piece. When I listen to a piece, I can imagine different things at different times. I can just close my eyes and think of something beautiful, something ugly, something red, something blue, something warm, something cold, something soft, something rough, something smelling like the ripe mangoes or something else.....I can go wild, imagining things.

Again, music is a fantastic means for me to express my inner most feelings, without being specific. I can say so many things without saying anything. I can vent out my feelings, any, all kinds of them. The most complex inter-twined, unspeakable of them I can ease out of my mind. The volcano, the flower, the sea, the space, anything in the world, anything out of this world is nothing for music. It is beyond seeing, beyond hearing, beyond feeling. It is the heart that music plays with, or it it the music that the heart plays?

Music has been my sole soulmate for all my years. It has been my companion through my sorrows and joys. I just have to open my hands, strum my fingers, and my music is with me. But not always!!! Music is worse than a girl friend sometimes. She does not just come to you just the way you want her to come. She makes a lot of tantrums, if you do not keep in touch with her. You have to caress her, play with her, make her yours and all this needs a lot of practice!!!

Music gives me the release that nothing in the world gives me. However of late, I have not been able to give sufficent time for my music. I hope to come back to it soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aradhita said...

Well...what can I say, good to see you found your reasons!

January 7, 2005 at 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home